Beginning July 2, 2011 Kreinik will be closing its offices and manufacturing plant for a little summer rest and relaxation. We will re-open on July 11, 2011. Here's a couple of Doug Kreinik's favorite recipes to try during your 4th of July holiday.
Marconi and Cheese
I do not eat milk products anymore, but my kids, and they are grown, love this when they visit. They now even make it in their homes. I begin with a basic white sauce using a double boiler.
You will need the following ingredients:
- Unsalted Butter (3 tbsp)
- Flour (2 tbsp)
- Half and Half (2 cups)
- Sharp Cheddar (8. 0z)
- Macaroni ( 8-10 .ozs)
- Melt - 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- Stir in - 2 level tbsp of flour
- Blend well over low heat
- Stir in slowly 2 cups of half and half and stir constantly
- Bring to a slow boil and continue to boil constantly stirring. This creamy white sauce should be thick and smooth.
- Add 1 chopped up brick of Sharp Cheddar ( My kids like the sharpest possible selection)
- Add a dash of paprika
- Cook Marconi noodles & drain
- Pour cheese sauce over noodles
Tangerine Meringue Pie
I love to experiment. I had heard that you could take any citrus and make a pie. I use premade pie crusts.
Bake a 9", premade pie crust and bake it until it is done
Pie filling (Mix in a double boiler):
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp clarified butter (I cook out the milk solids)
- 2 tbsp tangerine zest
- ½ cup fresh tangerine juice
- 1 ½ cups boiling water
- 3 egg whites
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- 6 cup sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until frothy.
- Beat in sugar, 1 tbsp at a time until stiff and glossy.
- Beat in vanilla. Do not under beat
- Pre-heat oven to 400F.
- Mix sugar and cornstarch and gradually stir in water.
- Cook over medium heat, stir constantly until it thickens and boils for 1 min.
- Gradually stir in half of the hot mixture into egg yolks.
- Blend into hot mixture in pan
- Boil and stir 1 minute
- Remove from heat
- Stir thoroughly: Clarified butter, tangerine zest, tangerine juice and pour into baked pie shell
- Cover the pie with heaps of meringue making sure to carefully seal the edges.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes or until a light brown then cool.
Eat and enjoy.